Sunday, August 29, 2004

Attack on my brother's compound - Afghanistan

From ABC:

An explosion tore through the office of an American defense contractor in the heart of the Afghan capital Sunday, killing as many as six people and seriously injuring several more, officials and residents said. The victims included several apparent U.S. citizens.

The blast hit the office of Dyncorp Inc., an American firm that provides security for Afghan President Hamid Karzai on behalf of the United States...
From Mark:
I'm alright, in case you were worried. If you didn't hear yet, there was an attack on one of my company's houses. It was not near my house. I was involved in the response to the attack. Just wanted to let you know i'm ok. Kind of tired now, i'll talk to you later.
-Mark

Reports now say that as many as 17 people have died in two different blasts which happened within 24 hours of each other. The second blast was at a religious school in the south of the country and killed 10 people, including four children. The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the Kabul blast on my brother's compound:
Taliban spokesman Abdul Latif Hakimi said the bomb was detonated by a Taliban fighter using a remote control device.

"A few minutes ago he phoned our chief ... to say that he finished his mission and is alive," Hakimi said.

I will update as I recieve more information.